Friday, August 24, 2012

Coping Skills Flashcards

With the population I work with, identifying and remembering to utilize coping skills can be a problem.  I have created "Coping Skill Flashcards" for my clients.  I created my flashcards in Microsoft Word, and I put different words and pictures on each card to represent coping skills.  I hole-punch the cards in the upper-left corner and then put them on a loose-leaf ring. 

I chose pictures that were black and white drawings so that my clients can color them. While they color them, we discuss what coping skills are (ie, "A coping skill is something you can do to help yourself deal with anger, sadness, or other feelings or problems you may have").  We then explore what coping skills they currently utilize that are negative (ie, hitting and yelling), and then we discuss the coping skills that are on the cards.  You may also want to include a few blank cards so that they can add their own coping skills.


This project is not limited only to emotionally-disturbed children.  This can even be used with your own children at home to teach them positive coping skills.


3 comments:

  1. Great resource and idea; thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome and such a hit with my kids! Thanks so much for sharing. I have been using it all school year, and meant to tell you sooner!

    ReplyDelete