There are many simple everyday activities that can be used as interventions that we may not even think about! Almost any activity can be tied to some kind of therapeutic goal or skill, depending on how you structure the activity. Here are a few that I have used with my clients at work, along with the skills and/or goals that can be tied into them:
- Painting: anger/stress management, emotional regulation, mindfulness.
- Planting a garden: anger/stress management, mindfulness, social skills/teamwork.
- Baking: anger/stress management, mindfulness, social skills/team work.
- Making cards/thank-you notes: emotional regulation/expression, nurturing relationships.
- Playing board games/card games: teamwork, social skills, good sportsmanship, mindfulness.
Artwork by Dominic Avila